What makes a good blog? Great information, reliability, connection and resources, honesty, practicality and humor are the traits I look for when I’m blog hunting–and so it’s a pretty big honored to be considered in the top ten online influencers in Alzheimer’s. Caregivers rely on the information they find on the web to be reliable and usable–and if it’s relate-able, then that’s all the better.
Want to know the top ten Alzheimer’s blogs? Read below. Every blog/website offers a unique perspective that give caregivers and their loved ones the best information they need.
SharecareNow Names Top 10 Online Influencers in Alzheimer’s Disease
– Touching the Lives of Patients, Caregivers and Families through Personal Stories, Expert Knowledge and Credible Information –
(Atlanta, GA, and San Francisco, CA – November 5, 2012) – Representing a diverse group of caregivers, celebrities, reporters and bloggers, the Top 10 Online Influencers in Alzheimer’s Disease list was released today in an effort to provide valuable information and resources to the millions affected by the disease, as well as those caring for them.
“Caring for someone with Alzheimer’s can be a physically, emotionally and financially challenging experience, making access to reliable information about various stages of the disease all the more important,” said Kevin Soden, MD, MPH, Sharecare editorial advisory board. “Recognizing the most influential and credible individuals in this field during November’s Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month serves as a powerful opportunity for us to support not only those diagnosed with the disease but also their loved ones and caregivers.”
To further support the Alzheimer’s community, Sharecare today announced the addition of the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America (AFA) to its network of experts. As a new content collaborator, AFA will address topics about Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, including how to care for a loved one with the disease. According to the AFA, 5.1 million Americans may have Alzheimer’s disease and as many as four family members may act as caregivers for each individual with the disease.
To be included in the SharecareNow 10 – Alzheimer’s Disease list, individuals must have demonstrated a consistent impact on Alzheimer’s-specific conversations online over the past year. Top influencers have an active online presence across multiple interactive channels – including Twitter, Facebook, video and blogs – and address a wide range of Alzheimer’s topics, including symptoms, treatment and care. Influence is measured and quantified through a proprietary algorithm based on more than 70 individual metrics, including Alzheimer’s disease relevance, syndication, presence and reach.
The following top influencers make up the SharecareNow 10 – Alzheimer’s Disease list:
- 1. Lori La Bey – AlzheimersSpeaks.com
- Founder of Alzheimer’s Speaks and host of the radio show Alzheimer’s Speaks
- 2. Leeza Gibbons – LeezaGibbons.com
- Advocate for Alzheimer’s patients and caregivers and founder of Leeza’s Place; former host of Entertainment Tonight and current host of America Now
- 3. Elayne Forgie – AlzheimersCareAtHome.com
- President and CEO of Alzheimer’s Care Resource Center and founder of ElderCare at Home and AlzheimersTraining.com
- 4. Sherri Snelling – blog.alz.org
- Founder and CEO of the Caregiving Club, Chairman of the National Alliance for Caregiving and Senior Director at Evercare, an extension of the UnitedHealth Group
- 5. Gina Kolata – NYTimes.com
- Award-winning medical reporter for The New York Times and author of the recent feature “How Do You Live Knowing You Might Have an Alzheimer’s Gene”
- 6. Stefanie Bonigut, MSW – alznorcalblog.org
- Social worker and Family Care Specialist for the Alzheimer’s Association
- 7. Elizabeth Nolan Brown – blog.aarp.org
- Associate editor to the women’s health and wellness site Blisstree.com and contributor to the AARP Blog
- 8. Bob DeMarco – AlzheimersReadingRoom.com
- Alzheimer’s caregiver and founder of the Alzheimer’s Reading Room, a site devoted to educating and empowering Alzheimer’s caregivers, families and the wider Alzheimer’s community
- 9. Carol O’Dell – caroldodell.wordpress.com
- Author of the blog “Caregiving, Mothering Mother and More,” contributing editor at Caring.com and author of Mothering Mother: A Daughter’s Humorous and Heartbreaking Memoir
- 10. Rose Lamatt – RoseLamatt.com
- Blogger and author of Just a Word: Friends Encounter Alzheimer’s and Is Life One Big Goodbye; contributing writer for the Alzheimer’s Reading Room
A downloadable version of the SharecareNow 10 – Alzheimer’s Disease list can be found here: http://www.sharecare.com/static/sharecarenow-alzheimers-top-ten-infographic. Additional information, including full bios and the methodology behind the influencer list, is available at http://now.sharecare.com.